June 16, 2013

Those Who Matter Dont Mind, Those Who Mind Dont Matter

So I had a conversation with one of the elderly earlier about my academics. Since this is my last term as a first year student, and I'm going to 2nd year of Uni this fall, she asked me what major I'm doing.

I told her I wanted to study Global Political Economy. She then started to ask me things such as 'What can you do with that degree?' 'Do you really like that degree? Because kids your age said they wanted something but then they change their minds'. I answered her questions throughly. I told her I have a long term goal, and that I like that area of study. She then started to make comments as if I'm making a wrong decision.

I know exactly what she means. She don't have to say what is it, but I know just exactly what she means. Just like every any other person that doesn't get me, she meant 'You're not gonna make much money from that industry! Job demand is low!' That, my friend, is the old fashioned way of thinking. They said it's important for us to go to school and get a degree so we can survive in real world. Education is needed to get a job, to get money, to make us happy. 

Personally, I think education is needed to help us build our point of views and think, which then determines our ability to survive in the real world. And having a job doesn't mean to have something you can work on during daytime because it's better than watching Days of Our Lives and you get paid for it. I think it's more than that. I don't want to only have a job; I want a career. A career means doing something that I love and am passionate about, feeling great about it, and get paid for it. Lots if I'm lucky. But the main point is I want to do something I'm passionate about and feel great after. Something that I can be proud of. I believe happiness doesn't only come from having bunch of money so you can buy a lot of things. It's more than that, and unfortunately, a lot of people failed to realize that.

xx

-A


No comments:

Post a Comment